This will be a short post today. It’s been quite a busy week and next week has just as much going on that I need to prep for. Soooo today I will just post my top 10 favorite songs (for now) to listen to when I go for a run. My list is subject to change, this is just what I’ve been digging lately.
And now, without further ado, my list:
1- Higher Ground by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love this song. It always gets me pumped and wanting to get moving and then to keep going, and the lyrics help too “People, keep on learnin,’ Soldiers, keep on warrin,’ World, keep on turnin,’ Cause it won’t be too long… Gonna keep on tryin’ till I reach the higher ground”
2- Carry On by Fun. Even if mostly for the phrase “may your path be the sound of your feet upon the ground, carry o-o-o-o-on”
3. Time to Move on by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. “It’s time to move on, time to get going, What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing, But under my feet, baby, grass is growing. It’s time to move on, it’s time to get going” nuff said.
4. Today by The Smashing Pumpkins This song is meant to be both sad and happy at the same time. I once read a quote by Billy Corgan (lead singer of Smashing Pumpkins) that talked about where he was, mentally, when writing this song and it was a point where he realized he wasn’t being himself. It was the end of an era of a persona he put up, and the beginning of allowing himself to be who he really is. It’s a song about renewal. It encourages me to renew myself and be myself. I also tend to cling to the happy elements of the song, so it also makes me feel happy and invigorated.
5. Can’t Stop by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. The beat of this song keeps me going and with how much the words “can’t stop” are repeated throughout the song, it’s hard not to be motivated to keep going by the lyrics too.
6. Stop by Jane’s Addiction. This song is mostly face-paced but also slows down at a certain part so it’s good if you want to do interval speeds. I also get motivated whenever he says “stop, now; go!” I don’t actually stop but it does get me to “go!”
7. Road trippin’ by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I loooooove this song. Obviously, it’s talking about being on a road trip, not running, but I find the lyrics still work and I find myself smiling more and enjoying my surroundings as I go. “It’s time to leave this town, It’s time to steal away. Let’s go get lost anywhere in the U.S.A. Let’s go get lost Let’s go get lost… These smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun”
8. Tonight Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins. Honestly, I just love this song. I love the orchestral music in it. This song is about living in the moment and it kind of just inspires me and reminds me of how quickly time flies by so I can focus more on the now. It also reminds me to just take things one step at a time, which may be why I like listening to it so much while I run.
9. Do You Know Where You’re Coming from? by Jamiroquai. It starts off slow but most of the song is more upbeat and asks if you know where you’re coming from and where you’re going to. I just love the upbeatness of it, keeping me going.
10. Say Hey (I Love You) by Michael Franti & Spearhead. I just like this song because it is upbeat, happy, sweet, and makes me want to dance. It’s simply a nice song to enjoy on a run.
That’s it! Enjoy!