So why is it so amazing to hear those “I’m bringing you dinner” words?
When I’ve had a lot on my plate and friends have offered (demanded, even!) to bring me dinner, it’s always done SO much more than physically feed my family. Here’s the magic that a dinner can do:
1. It physically feeds my family
2. It lets me know I’ve got people on my team, ready and willing to help with whatever might pop up.
3. It lets that 8% of my brain (that focuses entirely on what/where I need to be cooking next to keep my family fed) relax for a whole day!
4. I get to eat something tasty that someone else made! (Any cook-of-the-family will understand this one.)
5. All of the time and energy I saved up from not cooking (or worrying about cooking) on whatever I want! (Dishes, giving extra attention to the kids, or relaxing on the couch with my feet up?)
And so much more!
Now, between delivering and receiving lots of dinners, I have come up with a few things I have decided are always winners:
-include disposable plates, cups, napkins & silverware.
-if you aren’t positive they don’t already have dinner plans, make sure your meal is one that could fairly easily be stowed for dinner on another night.
-if you can, deliver all your food items in containers you don’t need back. (because who wants to do dishes?!)
-ask beforehand if anyone has any food aversions or allergies.
-give them a time that you’ll be dropping it off so they can plan accordingly.
-send something fun to drink (little mini soda cans or juice boxes for kids, or glass-bottled soda or sparkling cider for the grown-ups)
-when you drop it off, try not to stay forever and chat till the food is cold. Bring it in, unload it, explain it, take your bags and get outta there! A simple genuine offer for additional help is great too. They’ll believe you because you’re bringing dinner.
-don’t forget dessert! (those little cups of ice cream are always a hit, or a package of Pepperidge Farm cookies always feels special)
Some of my favorite deliverable meals (that I’ve either gotten or given):
-broccoli Swiss oven crepes, peas, fruit salad & rolls
-barbecue chicken on Hawaiian rolls with Caesar salad & a side of pineapple
-turkey cranberry provolone paninis with kettle chips and chocolate covered strawberries
-lasagna with garlic bread, salad & cookies
-rotisserie chicken with summery bistro salad and mini cupcakes
-mexican stuffed shells, chips & root beer
-creamy chicken taquitos with cilantro lime rice and black beans